Welcome to the Spurstow Parish Council website
Cheshire East Council have written to the Clerk on 27th June 2022 to say that there have not received a claim from ten electors for an election, following publication of a notice of vacancies on the Parish Council and that the council is therefore free to fill any vacancies by co-option.
Please find a link to an early map (circa 1900) which shows where the Vyrnwy Aqueduct crosses Peckforton Hall Lane – there are very few modern maps that show this, but it is amazing how little that part of the lane has changed in the last 120 years.
Please note that this is actually in Peckforton, rather than Spurstow and is therefore for interest only. You may find more information on the Peckforton Parish Meeting Website about United Utilities’ plans.
A little bit of history…
Spurstow is a Civil Parish within the unitary authority of Cheshire East Council. The Parish includes the settlement of Spurstow Sketh and part of Radmore Green. Nearby villages include Bunbury, Haughton and Peckforton.
Mentioned in the Doomsday book as “Spurstone“, the village was mainly land owned by John Aldersley and later George Spurstow, until the end of the line in 1685, when the estates were sold to Sir John Crewe. Most of the land is now owned by the Peckforton Estate. Situated 4 miles to the south of Tarporley, the Parish consists of 152 houses and 335 residents.
Spurstow is split into 2 parts with the main settlement to the west of neighbouring Bunbury and with the exeption of isolated houses,the southerly part is 2 1/2 miles away and wraps itself around the village of Haughton, the gap being filled with open countryside.
There are 17 listed buildings in the Parish and the gothic revival Old School House (now a private residence) dates back to 1872.
Our latest news
Please view all our news stories on our News page.